Thursday, January 4, 2018

Lucky!!!!

While Buddy is still on school break we decided to take another trip into Waimanu. We were supposed to go around Christmas, but Buddy's BFF couldn't make it so we rescheduled, because long arduous hikes are best when you can share the torture!!!!
Did I say torturous, or hilariously good times?


The hike is 9 miles in of multiple hills and valleys to climb....but then you are greeted with this....


and this....
minus our faces....unless you decide to take a cutout of our faces along, which I totally think is a good idea!!! The boys set up their side of camp all by themselves, while I went to hike one more mile to get more water from a nearby waterfall....


Thankfully, these two geniuses set up their campsite quite spectacularly, even figuring out how to lazily play a card game without having to move....
To say they were beat is the understatement of the universe!!! Haha! I think Tyler was so worried about getting back up the huge cliff side that we ended up making our journey back up a whole day sooner so everyone could "take their time". By the time we reached our goal (the Emergency Shelter about 3 miles in), it was only 1:30, so somehow I talked the boys into keep on chugging on. In my head we could get to our car in 4 1/2 hours on a hike that took us 8 on the way in. Bless those boys, because holy bananas we ended up hiking down the 1 mile down cliff with 30 minutes till sunset to enter Waipio and we still had 1 more mile to walk across Waipio and cross the raging river, because crossing the river in the dark would be dangerous, and would be ixnayed and we would have to camp in Waipio while I had visual contact on my car. So those boys hauled tail that last 30 minutes and we arrived to our car during the final seconds of sunset.....it could not have been planned any better, and yes, I was praying the whole way we could make it....mostly down the cliff because I didn't want to be responsible for the impending deaths of 2 young boys! To make it up to the boys for the severe workout I treated them to a McDonald's treat of their choice. It was the least I could do to celebrate their survival!!!! Haha! Buddy and I are now watching some boy movies while I'm doing laundry because tonight we are headed off to another camp/surf trip for the last 2 days of his winter break. So all in all a super fantastic, the boys have assured me that we don't need to do the hike for at least another 6 months, day!


No comments:

Post a Comment