Sunday, July 30, 2023

Pausing the rewind to unwind...

     Last week one of Shane's co-workers invited us down to hang out with them at their camping spot near our house. Shane had to google map from the air to figure out which lava rock path to take to get us there, then we had to use his truck in a fancy mode (don't ask me, Buddy was in charge of the gear changes and the button pushes) to take us up and down a super sketchy path! Seriously, I walk there and back from the highway because I don't want the stress of riding in the truck.....the boys of course love it! 

    Anyway,  Shane's friends told us that they like to go camping there and have been going for years, but since it's so remote most people don't know about it so they have the whole beach to themselves.....Well, as soon as we left that day we decided that we should go camping there the next weekend! It's the next weekend! We high tailed it to the spot as soon as Shane got off of work so we could get there before sunset....not sure if the truck would have survived otherwise.  I off course got dropped off at the highway and took the tent since going by foot is way faster and I wanted to make sure the tent was up before we lost light....

                                    

Made it, just in time for the most important event of the night, fire making....


 

Seriously, if there was an amusement park of just going different places to make fires, pretty positive the boys would think that was the most amazing thing ever! The next  morning I woke up to the boys already out fishing....





Shane allegedly caught a really big fish on one of his first reels out and threw it back thinking he was going to get something bigger.....he, in fact, did not get something bigger.....he also had no witnesses to the event and the fish wasn't talking. Shane and I did a little bit of snorkeling and then I took off to adventure. When I returned, the Budster joined me for a hammock nap/wind escape event!


The wind did get really bad for a bit, and after all the morning sun, even Shane had to escape for a little bit...


In my defense, I did offer the hammock to him too....at least I think I did. The Civil Defense sent a little alert to my phone warning about flooding on all shores of the island, which seemed a little off! Usually it's a hurricane or tropical storm, otherwise it's just sections of the island. Since there wasn't a cloud in the sky and my personal weatherman (that would be Shane) did some research and thought the alert was a mistake, we decided to stay. Thank goodness we did because Buddy wanted to gather (and eat) Opihi. Opihi is a shellfish that clings to the rocks getting ocean spray. You have to climb down and use a knife to pry them off of the rock wall (they are super suckers for sure). Since lowtide wasn't till nighttime, we decided that lowering high tide and sunlight was for the best....We had to google up a few things about the opihi, matter of fact I made a Facebook post and quickly turned it off thinking we had gathered them illegally. Turns out they just needed to be at least 1 1/2 inches in diameter in order to harvest them, which is what we did (and why we only have 3 because getting the easier to reach ones were to small and the larger ones that lived lower down were too dangerous to reach), I just had tumbled down a weird post that made it seem otherwise!
 Then I used my new bestie, google to figure out how to really cook these things.....the answer, fire....of course.....

 

None of us had tried Opihi before...so of course Buddy had to sniff it....


Thankfully, it passed the sniff test!
It was delicious! Shane refused to try his, so I ate his portion like a super trooper....really, it was delicious! Then we were gifted another amazing sunset....


Now we are back home again....that is after I walked myself to the highway! The boys were nice enough to pick me up while they were driving by! 
So all in all a super fantastic, ready to sleep in a real bed, day (or night)!

No comments:

Post a Comment