Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Psuedo....

As a nurse my HUGEST pet peeve is when a patient is lying about their symptoms to get attention. Number one on the list are those with diagnosed "pseudo-seizures". I've had patients/along with their family members straight faced tell me that they suffer from pseudo-seizures and how concerned they are about them. Ummmm, for those of you who don't understand the lingo let me lay it out for you.... Pseudo=FAKE. So today I got a call from the school nurse that Buddy was sick and that I needed to pick him up immediately. His diagnosis (made by me, I play a doctor on TV you know)....PSEUDO-SEIZURES. The boy was twitching his arms, legs and face erratically, mysteriously the onset seemed to coincide with some writing assignments (some one's archenemy of school work). Believe me, he didn't fool anyone, the school was just being precautionary by sending him home. So what do you do with a case of the pseudos? Well, you force them to write an apology note to their teacher, then you have school. Let me rephrase that, you have school writing, writing and more writing, well past the time that school would normally been released because your mom is just that upset. The last step in the coping process is to cover your head in embarrassment...

So much for the loving school thing!
So all in all a pseudo-fantastic, day?

No comments:

Post a Comment